Monday, August 8, 2011

Mental BLOCK

After much encouragement from family and friends, I am entering a contest. 

I like a challenge, I really do. 

But it is a writing contest with a very SMALL and a very STRICT word limit. 

I am hating, hating, hating the word limit. 

No matter how many times I work the entry, I can't seem to get it to reflect ME.  It seems I am merely able to get to the facts because of the limit.  No flair, no emotion, no pizazz.  Just boring.

I like to be wordy if you haven't noticed. 

It is starting to get really frustrating, and even more challenging, which is making my OCD determination go into overdrive. 

I have resorted to telling you all this because I am willing to try anything right about now, to get past this writer's block.  Time is running out.

6 comments:

  1. Katie, you and I have the same writing style! My beloved HS English teacher, Mr. Spag once compared mine and Aunt Mada's writing styles thusly:

    "You write very 'flowery' prose and often bring a new perspective to material I have been teaching for years. Your sister (Aunt Mada) on the other hand is one of the most pared down writers I have ever taught. If she were ever to become a reporter and cover World War 3 this would be her story: 'There was a war. They dropped the bomb. The war ended.'"

    So I guess the long-winded moral of this story is: get Aunt Mada to help you edit your writing/bounce ideas off of. She is excellent at getting to the heart of the matter in the fewest words possible and yet still manages to have great emotional impact with her words.

    I on the other hand (and has this reply shows) am a "flowery" writer with a bad case of written diarrhea.

    Also, as Aunt Mada often points out, she scored a 5 (perfect score) on her AP English exam. I only scored a 4.

    I know you can do this!

    Lots of Love,
    Flowery Aunt Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I'm the editor-in-chief of the Cooley newspaper and would be happy to give your piece a look.

    -Gabe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Call me tonight and tell me the story, as you would normally: casually and with humor. I will write it as you say it. Then cut cut cut!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Laurie, Gabe, and Al for the advice/offering to help! If I do not get it right by Thursday I will definitely take you up on your offers. It is due early next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie, contact Aunt Mada and not me for help! I would find ways to make your writing longer - LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you tried to write it as if you are writing for us, your "followers" on this blog?

    You can do this!

    ReplyDelete